This one falls into the “Yes, it needs to be said” category. I know 99% of you wouldn’t think of doing this, but hopefully this will reach the other 1%.
We had a bit of an incident the other day here at Curtis Brown San Francisco as someone came to the office wearing sunglasses and a black hat, refused to provide their name, and asked to see me without an appointment.
Now, I don’t know whether you would have come out of your office when the receptionist called and said, “There’s a guy here wearing sunglasses and a hat and he’d like to see you and I don’t know who he is,” but I believe my exact quote was “Absolutely not.”
Then the person refused to leave for a while. Eventually he gave the receptionist a query and left.
Now, let me be clear: I’m sure this person was just trying to show initiative, probably lives in the area or happened to be here on vacation and was thinking, “Hey, what the heck I’ll stop by and maybe make a personal connection.” I’m sure it was all completely well-intentioned.
But this is not like other businesses – we don’t take drop-in appointments. We also have no way of knowing if someone who shows up at the office unannounced has received one query rejection too many or just thought they’d pound the pavement to show agents they’re serious. So we’re probably not coming out of the office. I take this stuff pretty seriously.
Save yourself a trip – just send me a query. If I love your work there will be more than enough time to meet in person.