There are now over 50 paragraphs entered in the 6th Stupendously Ultimate First Paragraph Challenge! I have much respect for all the brave souls who have entered thus far.
If you haven’t entered yet: um why not? Go for it! You have a chance to win a query critique and a $100 gift certificate to your favorite independent bookstore. Plus: PRIDE.
You have until Friday, 7pm ET to summon your courage.
A few updates and random thoughts:
- Ever wondered what a literary agent’s inbox looks like? Reading the contest entries is one of the best ways of seeing what it’s like to read queries and excerpts over and over.
- (Although to be honest the quality of these entries is far greater than the average inbox. If you’re reading a publishing blog you’re already ahead of 50% of the other people agents hear from).
- Keeping up with tradition, here’s a word cloud of the entries so far!
- Oh yes, don’t forget to grab a copy of the 2nd Edition of my guide to writing a novel, which was released yesterday! Audiobook coming soon!
Have you been reading the entries? What do you think so far?
• Need help with your book? I’m available for manuscript edits, query critiques, and coaching!
• For my best advice, check out my guide to writing a novel (now available in audio) and my guide to publishing a book.
• And if you like this post: subscribe to my newsletter!