What do you wish existed in the publishing industry?

by | May 10, 2017 | Publishing Industry | 9 comments

Okay. So. You have a magic wand.

A practical magic wand, but a magic wand nonetheless. This wand can’t, say, give you a million dollars or a million wishes, but it can make one or more of your problems disappear.

What do you wish existed for your publishing journey?

Here are a few ideas to get you started:

A service that would write personalized queries to every agent in publishing.

A marketing wizard to figure out how to do revenue-positive social media ads.

A genie to write my novels for me (no really please help).

What would you create?

I’m available for manuscript edits, query critiques, and consultations! And if you like this post, check out my guide to writing a novel.

Art: Harry Kellar poster by Strobridge Lithographing Co.

1. Janiss Garza

You had me at "marketing wizard to figure out how to do revenue-positive social media ads!" I'm still working on that one.

2. Brandon Schaffer

Really all I want is a keyboard that interfaces directly to my brain so my hands stop hurting. Currently use voice to text but not a huge fan.

3. jenn

something like a fitbit only for writing. so when you've not written however many words in a certain period of time, the thing alerts you, in a kind but notable fashion, that you need to get off your ass.

4. Tina OReilly

I like Jenn's idea for a fitbit for writing. I wouldn't want something to write my novel, because that's the fun part. I'm all for the marketing wizard for social media ads!

5. Em-Musing

A wand to whisk away procrastination. Oh, and then a team of people to market my manuscripts.

6. Hilary

More author marketing collectives (maybe by genre?) so it's easier to tap into preexisting audiences

7. Jen Roundell

A software program that takes in a 100 000 word.story and spits out an awesome summary. There are several settings: 10 page, 3 page, book jacket blurb…

8. Carl Welch

Eternal immunity from prosecution for Victoria Strauss and the rest of the Writer Beware crew.