What are your favorite still-active blogs?

by | Jan 5, 2016 | Book Marketing | 20 comments

I’ve mentioned previously that the blogosphere is feeling a little quieter lately, but maybe I’m just not looking in the right places.

What are some of your favorite still-active writing and publishing blogs? Who’s out there still innovating and keeping the people talking?

1. Anma Natsu
  2. Cliff Burns

Hard to find good blogs related to writing these days that aren't utterly devoted to promoting the work of a single author–new releases, appearances at book signings, etc. etc. (YAWN)

I'd like to see more space devoted to the writing life, especially the ups and downs of choosing the indie/self-publishing path. I'm less interested in sales figures than I am finding out how my colleagues endure the daily grind of putting words on paper, with little expectation of reward. Fame and fortune? You might as well put your faith in buying lottery tickets. I've been a professional writer for 30 years and i still struggle to draw attention to my stories and novels.

All that said, the two writers I check in with most often are Peter Watts and Ian Sales. They're intelligent guys and not nearly as self-obsessed as many of my other colleagues in the blogosphere. Check 'em out:

3. Richard Mabry

Although I agree with a previous commenter that many blogs nowadays are either selling an individual's books or pushing the self-publication model, I still like to read what some agents are saying for writers. Although Rachelle Gardner no longer blogs regularly in her own space, she's an integral part of the several agents that publish on the Books & Such blog. I also enjoy what Steve Laube has to say. Thanks for asking.

4. pat

'The Passive Voice' at http://www.thepassivevoice.com is the one that most regularly holds my interest.
    I look forward to checking out the ones already mentioned!

5. Mirka Breen

I've always favored well-written PERSONAL writerly/publishy experiences. Think Nora Ephron sort of blogs. I still have a few on my list, but they are getting thinner.
    It's all right. Quality is not quantity.

6. Leanne Sowul

Mirka, I also like personal writer's blogs. Sara Letourneau writes a prolific one at http://saraletourneauwriter.com.

The blog at DIYMFA.com has diverse, unique writer voices, and is focused on both craft and publishing.

And (I'm saying this humbly, if it's ok to mention this) I also write a blog for writers called Words From The Sowul at http://www.leannesowul.com.

7. Chris Eboch

Writer Unboxed for writing life issues and some craft and business. Project Middle Grade Mayhem for MG lit with a writing craft focus. Both are multi-author blogs.

8. Jennifer R. Hubbard

Every Friday, Jon Gibbs does a roundup of interesting blog posts from the week:

It's a good place to start, in addition to the blogs already mentioned above.

I still follow several writers' blogs, though not so much for writing or publishing advice. In fact, I find that I approach blogs mostly as a reader now: I'm looking for good stories and book recommendations.

9. Jenny Maloney

I'm a big fan of Chuck Wendig's Terribleminds — he's right on top of current events both in the 'real' world and publishing. I like that a lot.

10. Jenny Maloney

Oh. And Writer Unboxed. So many different voices and topics keep it interesting. writerunboxed.com

11. Naja Tau

At the moment, I enjoy reading the blogs of people who I believe I could have some sort of relationship with, so well-moderated forums or social media groups are a far more satisfying use of my time than blogs or websites have been in the past couple of years.

In other words, I like to read the blogs of people who I might want to maintain a regular line of communication with. http://marblesonglass.blogspot.com/ comes to mind when I think of a blogger who is interested in maintaining long-term ties with other bloggers.

12. treeoflife

Philip Athan's blog, Fantasy Authors Handbook, I've read steadily for years.

13. fangsandclause

May I humbly suggest my own blog? http://www.fangsandclause.wordpress.com

It's a cranky account of the struggle both as an editor and as a writer. I went freelance as a copyeditor in 2008 and got really sick of self-promoting everything-is-sunshine-and-roses blogs where and talking to myself. Thus I started a blog.

14. Laura Martin

I love Janet Reid's two blogs, one under her own name, and the other is called Query Shark. Without them I am certain my book never would have gotten published. She is very good at letting writers know what NOT to do and how to handle themselves.