How do you plan to publish your work in progress? (2015)

by | May 13, 2015 | Self-publishing | 15 comments

Is self-publishing on the ascent? Do people still want the imprimatur of a publisher?

Let’s find out. This is the third annual poll. How do you plan to publish your work in progress? Are you a die-hard traditional or self-publisher? Will you consider one or the other depending on circumstances?

UPDATE: Poll is closed!

Art: Richard March Hoe’s printing press from History of the Processes of Manufacture by A.H. Jocelyn

1. Anma Natsu

I'll be indie publishing under my own imprint, Zenbi Press, just as I did my first novel (which I released two months ago or so) 🙂

Traditional wasn't something I seriously considered other than vague thoughts of it when I was still young and not what I'd consider serious about my writing (as in I went years without touching stuff, didn't revise, etc).

2. Janiss

As a small indie publisher, I sit between traditional publishing and self-publishing. While I don't have the resources that a large, or even a mid-range publishing house has, I also don't have as much overhead and as a result, can pay royalties much sooner than the biggies. I'm also way more hands-on with my writers and have developed close business/personal relationships with several. As for my own work, I'll traditionally publish or publish under my own imprint as the need arises. I think that highly niched books do better indie published, for the most part.

I really would like to see more indie publishers on my level out there because I really do feel that most authors who self-publish are taking on WAY more than they should. Some self-publishing authors are good with things like hiring editors, finding good book cover/interior designers, working with POD/ distribution companies, accounting, crowdfunding, etc. but it is a LOT of work – and honestly, cuts into writing time. I should know! An alternative to total DIY publishing should be more available for good writers who struggle under all the other stuff that doesn't involve writing and promotion.

3. Susie Lindau

There is another alternative. I could publish directly with a midrange publisher with the benefits to the big ones.

4. Susie Lindau

—similar got dropped!
    with similar benefits to the big ones.

5. phoenixfallacy

Should have included "who the heck knows"? I change my mind on a daily basis.

6. Mary Anne

I agree, Susie Lindau. I'm starting with trying to find an agent, then if it a no-go I'll try forto the mid-range publisher route. Self-publishing is a last resort.

7. Mary Ellen Wall

I want control of my own work. I don't want a publisher opting for my series and deciding not to actually publish any but the first. I don't want all my efforts shoved into a cellar because my social numbers weren't pleasing. I'm more cordially disposed toward the really small publishers but haven't considered sending any of my books to one. I am happily self-published and intend to stay that way.

8. Pimion

I think if it's your first book you should publish it traditionally. And later when you have enough experience you can try self-publishining.

9. lynnfc

Began seeking representation in January 2015 of my 80,000 word thriller The Don's Wife written/revised through UCLA Writer's Program. Fulfilled agent requests met at ThrillerFestPitchFestCraftFest. Already did a self published book of my father's discovered by an Alaska TV station The Man and The Mountain:Sydney Laurence's Mt. McKinley. Sold half first printing of 2100 books in 1 day with PR done the old fashioned way.

10. Jason Bougger

I queried agents and small press publishers and ended up signing with a small press. The book just came out this month, but so far I have no complaints.

I know most of the publicity is on me, but that's okay; I look forward to the learning experience.

I'll definitely try to find an agent for the second book, though.

I think it's all going to come down to either big publishers or indie publishers in the future.

After being with several small presses, and having a certain amount of success with them, I was very disheartened when several of the small presses shuddered and closed. And even though I love small presses, I think that's a sign of the future. I don't see how a small press can compete with a big publisher, or indie authors who are pricing their books so much cheaper.

And when a small press closes up the authors are left with orphaned books they don't know what to do with. So it's either indie publish them and re-release, or let them shudder and die, too.

12. BrixMcD

Traditional publishing. Yes, it's the tougher choice and who knows if I'll make it but still, for me, it's the way to go. I want readers.