Harper Lee to publish a new novel

by | Feb 3, 2015 | Books | 14 comments

You guys.

YOU GUYS.

Here’s the story. Her new novel, “Go Set a Watchman” is one she wrote in the 50s and put aside.

Wow.

1. Eric McCarty

I had to check to make sure today wasn't April 1. Surely this can't be true.

2. Mirka Breen

The New novel is really an old novel, the original version of To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Reading the same story from a different POV, apparently that of an adult, would be a literary sensation. It is an American classic. Imagine Huck Finn from the POV of Jim, the runaway slave.

3. Carol Coven Grannick

What I read is that her editor loved the flashbacks to Scout as a child and suggested writing the first, beloved, story.

Having read some of the perspective she's shared with the rare people she's talked with, my admiration is deeper than ever. It seems a decision of great courage, based on the concerns she's shared before.

I can't wait to pre-order…

4. Neil Larkins

An article in the Washington Post today suggested there might be some reason to doubt what is being said about this book.

5. adan

Shared, thank you, it's a really nice article with a lot of interesting info nicely laid out. 🙂

6. Jaden Terrell

I have mixed feelings about this. I will order it ASAP and will consider it a literary treasure, regardless of how it compares with To Kill a Mockingbird, but I hope the decision to publish it was her own. I can see why she would be willing to change her mind at this point in her life.

I just pray people are kind. As Carol said, this takes tremendous courage on her part.

7. Neurotic Workaholic

I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird since high school, but I do remember that it was one of the few books that all the students liked. I'm looking forward to reading her new novel.

8. K L Romo

Thanks for sharing Nathan. Didn't know this. (Ha! My first word was WOW too!)

9. thewriteedge

I pre-ordered my copy approximately seven seconds after reading the news. Can't wait! In addition to the fact that this is HARPER LEE, it also gave me a boost of encouragement about the longevity of an author's career. Yea!!

10. adkwords

I'm incredibly uncomfortable with the fact that this book is being published, so soon after Lee's sister (and lawyer) passed away and there is reason to believe that Lee isn't even aware that her book is being published. (Not to mention, there seems to be enough sketchy information to suggest that it might not even have been written by Lee herself…) There was a recently published interview with Lee's editor. This article (obviously biased towards my mindset, I admit) talks about it: http://the-toast.net/2015/02/04/questions-harper-lee-editor-interview/