Making Spirits Bright With Heifer International

by | Dec 23, 2009 | Giving Back | 401 comments

(6PM Update Below – keep clicking and commenting on the links!)

You guys are the ones who make this blog, and if you are reading it in a place that’s warm and safe like I am we have so much to be thankful for.

You may have already heard of Heifer International, an organization that works to fight hunger by giving needy families around the world and in the United States livestock, training, or other assistance that helps improve their livelihood. Heifer has been recognized for its work in Fast Company and Forbes, among other places.

I know we’re going through tough economic times, but if you have anything to spare this holiday season I hope you’ll consider making a donation. And, in order to encourage people to spread the word, for every comment someone makes in this post between now and 5PM Pacific time, my wife and I will donate 50 cents $1.00*.

(*Up to $1,000, I’m on a publishing salary people)

And, better yet, if you want in on the fun you could do a per-comment pledge on your own blog and I’ll link to it in this post and encourage everyone to stop by so we can multiply the giving!

In your comment I hope you’ll list:

1. Your name
2. Where you’re from
3. A wish for 2010
4. (optional) A link to your own blog or website if you want to make a similar per-comment pledge (amounts totally up to you). Write a dedicated post on your blog for people to leave comments on your blog and link to Heifer and state your pledge. I will update the post throughout the day with links to other participating blogs.

Thanks again for a wonderful 2009! I’ll be closing comments on the blog between 5pm this evening and Monday as I spend time with my family, and will be back with some reruns from yesteryear on the 28th.

Also spreading cheer with their own per-comment donations (please make sure to click through and leave comments!):
Amanda Plavich
Houndrat
Linda Godfrey
So Many Dreams
The Book Designer
Irene Rawlins
Patrick Rothfuss

6PM Update: WOW!! All I can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who participated in our inaugural charity drive. Thanks to you, this is the total donation for this blog ($1 x close enough to 1,000 comments = ……):

And according to my calculations, if the other blogging participants reach their comment pledge goals it will mean another $1,250-$1,500+ for needy families. That’s what I call multiplying! But that will only happen if you keep commenting on those blogs. Many of the participants above have extended their deadlines, so if you’re just arriving click those links above and comment!

This has been a fantastic experience, but it’s just the beginning: next year we’ll really blow it out (and hold it at a time when more people are on the Internets). THANK YOU again to everyone. All comments from here on out will be held for moderation (and not generally looked at) as I’m away with my family, but will be back on Monday. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

Here's Mary from Texas. I wish you and yours a wonderful holiday season!

2. Jill C.

Merry Christmas from Jill aka Carpy from Lincoln, NE!!! It's wet, rainy and expecting snow today and over the holidays. My wish for 2010 is for all of us to realize our great potential to help ourselves and others! Thanks Nathan for this blog and next year you'll be able to link onto mine.

3. Matthew

Here's $.50 more. Merry Christmas and happy new year.

4. Sarah W

Merry Christmas, Happy (very belated) Hanukkah, Blessed (slightly belated) Solstice, and Tolerant Festivus!

Sarah W (from icy Illinois)

5. Samantha

1. Samantha
    2. Michigan, Detroit area
    3. I wish to finish a novel and not hate it.
    4. http://froomla.blogspot.com

I read your blog all the time, but I rarely comment.

6. Megan

Happy Holidays from Megan in Oregon!

7. Alicia A

What a wonderful way to get your bloggers involved in your generosity. Happy Holidays from Alicia in Texas. My selfish wish for 2010 is to finish my first novel. My unselfish wish is for everyone to give to atleast one charity this year in one form or another. Thanks Nathan, for everything.

8. aspiring_x

I'm Victoria from Kansas. My wish for 2010 is that the family who recieves your donation will know no more hunger.

9. maybe genius

1. Stephanie
    2. Illinois, USA
    3. To finish my current project, to move out to CA, and for the world as a whole to make strides to getting out of this economic funk
    4. I can't commit to a per-comment donation right now, but I'll gladly donate a flat amount πŸ™‚

Happy Holidays to all!

10. Malia Sutton

Malia Sutton

New York City

I wish for national healthcare.

Happy Holidays to you and yours from Emily in Richmond, VA. Thanks for all you do. Your blog is a daily read for me. Best wishes for a Happy New Year! xo

P.S. Oops, I forgot my wish… (this is Emily from Richmond, VA again)

TO FINISH MY BLESSED BOOK!

13. Stephanie

Merry Christmas from Stephanie in Alabama! My wish for 2010 is to be PUBLISHED!

14. Kristen Torres-Toro

Merry Christmas from Atlanta, Georgia!

My wish for 2010- to live in peace no matter the chaos thrown my way. Oh yes, and a book contract. :0)

15. thoughtful1

Happy happy holidays, Nathan! Thanks for your blog.

My kids and I are buying a bee hive for a family through Heifer International! It's a nice way to help out others.

16. Sonja

Happy Holidays, Nathan!

My daughters (ages 10 & 13) are required to save 10 percent of their allowance every week to donate to a charity of their choice. For the past few years, that money has gone to Heifer International. It is such a great organization. Glad you mentioned it!

My wish: That the families who receive these donations no longer have to worry about their children being hungry.

Sonja, Arizona

17. Deb

Nathan – we think alike! I gave my niece and nephew honey bees for Hannukah. (they got Burt's Bees lip balm, a village somewhere got a hive.) My 3-year-old picked out a cow for his "gift" on the last night. Does anybody really need another toy or sweater?
    Keep counting the blessings – which is what my husband and I do on our blog.
    Have a happy!

18. maine character

Heifer's a quality act, and so are you.
    – Steve in Maine, with best wishes to all

19. StephanieD

Hi, Nathan! What a cool organization. For as low as $20 I could buy a flock of duck, geese, or chicks for a family!

I'm Stephanie and I'm in beautiful Marin.

20. Melissa

Merry Christmas from Melissa in Washington state. You're absolutely amazing, Nathan. Thanks for your generosity!

sonja-

What a great idea! I am absolutely doing that when I have kids.

22. Annalee

1. My name is Annalee Flower Horne.
    2. I'm from Washington, DC.
    3. My wish for 2010 is a world free of war and the threat of war, with equality, justice, and opportunity for all.

4. This isn't a link to my blog, but to author Patrick Rothfuss's Worldbuilders Project, which also raises money for Heifer International. He's just under 5,000 short of his 50,000 goal for the season. And he's giving away prizes, like signed books, ARCs, and other goodies he's collected from other authors (including some big names!). Anyway, I hope people will check it out.

23. Rachel Bateman

You are a rock star, Nathan! Add in my $.50. I am off to check out Heifer International now. This is definitely a charity I can get behind 100%. What a great idea!

24. Christopher S. ledbetter

Christopher S. Ledbetter
    WIlmington, NC
    My wish is for everryone to enjoy the Holiday Season with the warmth brought by good friends and family.

25. Rie

1) Rie
    2) DFW, TX
    3)I wish for the health of my family.

26. Rachel Bateman

Wow. I got so excited about your pledge that I didn't even read that you wanted to know about me. πŸ™‚
    I am Rachel Bateman
    I am from Bozeman, Montana
    My wish for 2010? Wow. That is tough. I wish more people would learn self reliance. I guess that is why places like Heifer International are so great-they give things that help people in the long run, not just immediately.

Hmmm…I guess I better give a bigger donation now that I put TWO comments up here.

27. Lady Glamis

What a wonderful thing to do!

Michelle Davidson Argyle from Utah. My wish is that everyone feels happiness this season.

28. Matilda McCloud

I'm Mary Jo from Hoboken, New Jersey, the birthplace of Frank Sinatra and now famous as the home of The Cake Boss's bakery…

My wish is that all children receive the vaccinations and medical care they need, as well as have enough to eat.

29. Pia

Pia Pulido
    Dallas, TX
    My 2010 wish is for more people to live by the words, "As you give, so shall you receive."
    What an inspiring blog! Thanks for sharing.

30. Robena Grant

My name is Robena Grant
    I'm from La Quinta, California
    My wish for 2010 is that more people find comfort
    Sorry, my blog has been closed to comments for years
    But, I love this organization, so thanks for the reminder I'm off to donate something useful.

Happy holidays everyone.

31. Alli

Alli from Australia but currently living in Canada.

Wishing everyone a safe and happy 2010 full of dreams and adventures.

My biggest wish is one day the world won't need charities like Heifer, but in the meamntime thank you to everyone who supports such a fantastic organisation.

32. Joyce Lansky

Hello from Joyce Lansky in Memphis, Tennessee. Heifer is a wonderful organization, and I'm glad you're supporting them. In 2010, I'd like to see our economy do a turn about. I hope the unemployed find jobs and the unpublished find sales. Also, I hope this country does a better job supporting our president who works hard to try to fix this mess. We're all in this together, so it's time to break our partisan divide.

33. Kaitlyne

I donate to a similar project through OxFam International, but it's a good cause so I'll pitch in here, too. πŸ™‚

Anyway, Merry Christmas from Kaitie in Japan. My wish for 2010 is that we realize how incredibly important this world is to us, and that we really do have the intelligence and resourcefulness to save the world.

On a personal note…that I can find a job when I return to the states.

Hope every has a great holiday, whatever it is you're celebrating. And wishing everyone a happy, tigeriffic New Year. πŸ™‚

34. Alejandra

What an inspiring project!

35. Jeremy D Brooks

Good on you, and Happy Holidays Nathan (and company)!

Here's to positive progress in the world in 2010, and less ankle-biting politics sanding the gears.

Jeremy Brooks
    Las Vegas, NV

36. LilySea

Lovely! I love Heifer International. We have our kids pick animals to "give" every year.

37. Shirin Dubbin

This post and mission are inspiring. I'm never disappointed reading your blog and today it is truly special.

Washington, DC
    I hope this post becomes infectious, spreading until it and kindness like it are pandemic. ^_^
    I'll join you in making a donation to Heifer International.

Thanks for this.

38. Michelle

Michelle from Nashville, TN here…I'm a big fan of Heifer. My business donates to Heifer regularly and each Christmas my son gets to choose a heifer animal we donate. Then we buy a stuffed animal of that gift for under our tree to remind us of those less fortunate and what giving and gifts are really about. We're accumulating a menagerie and it's very cool to hear him explain to visitors why those animals are under the tree. My wish is that your post gets others involved. Have a wonderful holiday!

39. Grimmster24

Great idea, Nathan! I hope you are able to raise a LOT of money! πŸ™‚

40. Allison

Hello from Allison in NYC.

Thanks for getting us in the holiday spirit by spreading the word about a great organization — and giving them some financial love.

My selfish 2010 wish: to be less tired.
    My altruistic one: a little less conflict in forgotten places like DRC, South Sudan, &c.

41. Linda Adams

1. Linda Adams
    2. Northern Virginia–a hop, skip, and traffic jam away from Washington, DC.
    3. That I find an agent.

42. KT

Merry Christmas to Nathan and everyone here.
    I'm Katie from St. Louis. My wish for 2010: health and happiness to my friends and familiy (and that I get my first YA attempt published.)

43. Laurel

Happy Holidays to all!

Laurel from Georgia wishes to breathe life into the squidgy middle section of my book so I can get on with the business of querying.

44. Anna

Every little bit counts!

Happy holidays!

45. Lenka

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I wish for a creative and peaceful year! Thanks for giving!
    PS- love Heifer International- buy some donkeys πŸ™‚

46. Kristin

I have a cousin that leads the study tours with Heifer Project. I just took my kids through their new museum before Thanksgiving break. Awesome, Nathan. Thanks so much.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    Kristin in Arkansas

47. Mariel

uno. Mariel
    dos. Northern VA of snow and ice mountains
    tres. 70F

48. niyrak

Karen
    East Texas
    Wish: That all of the soldiers in our military come home safley from where they are in danger each and every day while we sleep soundly in our beds.

49. Jen B

My name is Jen Brubacher and I'm from British Columbia, but live in London, UK now. In 2010 I wish that more people do little good things that add up to bigger great things. This is a nice idea, Nathan. Thank you.

50. Heather

What a wonderful, generous idea. This is Heather from Florida, and I share a wish with most commenters that I finish my book and find an agent in 2010. I also hope my husband gets a better job…he's so miserable right now.

51. Amanda

Hi! My name is Amanda Plavich and I'm from the fabulous state of Georgia.

For 2010, I wish for health happiness for all friends and family and that everyone in the world finds their own kind of peace.

I made a post: http://www.amandaplavich.com

I can't let mine get to $1,000 because I'm pretty broke, but I figure every little bit helps. πŸ™‚

52. Victoria Schwab

This is incredibly generous of you, Nathan.

My name's Victoria, from Nashville, and my wish for 2010 is to survive the rest of my edits πŸ™‚

53. Kristi

What an amazing organization – I just checked it out and made a donation. You're awesome for using your popularity for good – I hope to do the same one day.

I'm Kristi from Colorado. For 2010, I hope the world find more peace and harmony (yeah, just like the Coke commercials). For myself, I can only hope it's as amazing as 2009 — I feel very fortunate.

54. Caroline Wallace

I'm Caroline from Florida. I'm wishing for some more good times with family and friends and more reading time.

55. Pamala Knight

Hi Nathan,

Merry Christmas from Pamala Knight in Chicago. My wish echoes many already posted–that organizations like Heifer International continue to thrive so they can help those who need it most. I've already donated at Patrick Rothfuss's blog (got my eye on that Neil Gaiman ARC) but scrounged up a little extra to donate here too. Thanks for doing this.

56. Mimm Patterson

Happy Holidays to everyone. My selfish wish for 2010 is to find an agent (are you reading this, Nathan?). In 2010 may all writers continue to tell stories that matter, and may all readers have open hearts and minds.

57. Shelby

Shelby from Chicago. Your blog is fantastic, Nathan. And wishes for the New Year? Finally get that publishing thing to happen.

Happy holidays!

58. Fawn Neun

Good job, Nathan! Heifer International has been my charity of choice for over 15 years. They do great things, empowering people to make their own destinies and improve their communities.

59. Whitney

1. Whitney
    2. the sweltering parts of Texas
    3. To get one step closer to my little new and used bookstore. πŸ˜€

60. K.L. Brady

Karla from Cheltenham, Maryland (just outside of D.C.)

My simple wish is that God (whoever your God is) shines His grace on everyone in the coming year.

Happy Holidays!!

61. Shawn

Get a haircut.

Shawn in St. Louis

62. Cheryl Barker

Nathan, I'm Cheryl from Kansas. I'm hoping to give our daughter and her fiance a wonderful wedding celebration in 2010. Merry Christmas!

63. Josin L. McQuein

Josie, from Texas.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

Here's hoping that the donations will cause a positive ripple effect beyond expectation in the lives of people none of us may ever meet.

Charlie, NYC, a reason not to kill myself.

65. Jenn Chushcoff

Heifer International is a wonderful organization. For the past two years, we've donated in honor of family and friends. It's also a great way to spread the word. I've been reading your blog, but this is my first comment. Thank you for the great posts and generous donation offer to Heifer. I'm wishing for time to catch up on the pile of books next to my bed. Jenn from Tacoma, WA. Happy Holidays!

66. Maya / ΧžΧ™Χ”

Here's Maya from Israel. We had a nice Chanukah… have a great Christmas! (This is an awesome thing to do, btw.)

67. JenLT

1. Jennifer
    2. Fayetteville, NC
    3. My personal wish for 2010 is to become published. My somewhat unselfish wish is that everyone has access to the health care they need in 2010.

The charity sounds fabulous. It's such a great idea. I've never heard of it before, but now it will be going on my list.

Thanks for doing this blog.

This is Gabor here from Budapest, Hungary wishing you all a successful and happy 2010. πŸ™‚

(And thanks for the great posts, Nathan.)

69. Jeannie

1. Jeannie
    2. Southern California
    3. That my move to the Bay area will be a good choice.

jeannie-

Moving to the Bay Area is always a good choice.

71. Lisa Katzenberger

Hi, I'm Lisa from Chicago. My goal in 2010 is that this third manuscript I'm writing so very slowly, and falling so deeply in love with, is the one that snags me an agent.

72. A Paperback Writer

Cake Wrecks is doing this also.
    I love this charity, and I've already donated to them on my own, but, Nathan, thanks for making more people aware of it and challenging people to donate. Good for you.

73. K.C. Shaw

I'm Kate from Tennessee, and Heifer International is an awesome project. I first learned about them through my hobby of spinning wool into yarn. A lot of my fellow spinners donate. This year, I will too.

Happy holidays!

74. Colleen Thompson

I'm Colleen from Texas, and I'm a big fan of both Heifer Int'l and your blog. Thanks for doing this!

My wish for 2010: a resurgence in the printed word and lots of shiny new contracts for my friends and me!

75. T. Anne

T. Anne Adams
    California
    I wish for much success and happiness in 2010!
    Luv U Nathan! XOXO

76. Rachel

How wonderful! This is Rachel from Washington DC. My 2010 wish is for all my friends involved with the business of the written word (including myself) somehow survive 2010 happy, healthy, and employed. πŸ™‚

Anna Murray here from Lake Elmo, Minnesota.

I'm contributing all my profits from my 2009 eBook (Kindle sales) to American Heart Association. I made a payment of $500 to them at the Minneapolis Heart Gala (end of October) — but since then my sales have accelerated, and it looks like I'll be closer to $800 donation by the end of next week.

The first book in the series is just 99 cents, and 35 cents (my profit) goes to AHA.

Unbroken Hearts

78. Peggy

Merry Christmas from Alabama, where the official holiday song is Let It Rain, Let It Rain, Let It Rain!

2010: May you be kinder and wiser.

79. Sherilyn Winrose

Karilyn from E. Wa

What a wonderful gift for the holidays Nathan.

My wish? God's will be done for us all.

80. lynnrush

Merry Christmas. I'm Lynn Rush from Phoenix, AZ. It's sunny but chilly out here in the desert. . . but at least it's minus the snow, right?

Here's looking to a fantastic 2010. May we strive for the Christmas spirit year round.

81. TheFan

Goldie
    Brooklyn
    I wish to finish my novel! (and that CIR and health care pass in congress!)

82. susanamai

It's Susana from NYC. Here's to 2010 and a promise to revise revise revise!

I love Heifer, and always make sure to donate at least a few chicks to people all around the world.

83. Wendy @ All in a Day's Thought

Wendy
    from the Northeast
    Wishing to connect with a solid agent in the New Year and that my passion for writing continues to thrive.

Merry Christmas, Nathan. Cheers for doing this.

84. Flemmily

Merry Christmas!

Emily Flemming from Belgrade MT.

Thank you, from Adam in New Hampshire. I'm just happy to be getting this decade behind us. Let's look forward to something better.

86. Krista G.

This is Krista G. from Mesquite, Nevada (currently reporting from Kaysville, Utah). In 2010, I would love to reach the point where my current work-in-progress (his name is Bob) is not just good enough but Perfect, with a capital P. And to become the kind of writer capable of that kind of writing.

Thanks for all you do, Nathan. This is a great cause.

87. Becca Cooper

Oh, this is brilliant! Now I feel like I'm doing something good by reading/commenting on blogs all morning! πŸ˜‰

Merry Christmas!

(From Becca, in Ontario, where there are already five-foot snowbanks.)

88. Ev

Merry Christmas, Nathan. My name's Ev and I hail from Terrace, BC, Canada.

Your lovely blog-pledge post pulled me out of lurkdom.

Is Peace On Earth too big a wish for 2010? Hmmmm, how about this then: I wish every reader of this post, joy even in hard times, laughter, and good friends. May we all extend a little mercy and forgiveness in our everyday lives.

Cookies are also good, and I hope you get your hands on some (or a lot).

Merry Christmas!

89. Miss Skunk

Deborah
    Knoxville, TN
    finish my book

Merry Christmas

90. Kathleen

1. Kathleen
    2. San Francisco, CA
    3. I hope I find a good way to balance writing and my busiest year of med school.
    4. I'm too insecure to post a link to my blog…maybe next year!

Merry Christmas!

91. Kathleen

1. Kathleen
    2. San Francisco, CA
    4. I'm too insecure to post a link to my blog…maybe next year!

Merry Christmas!

92. dan radke

I'm Dan from Irvine. In 2010, I hope America doesn't burn to the ground. Merry Christmas, everybody!

93. Leeann

Leeann Whiffen
    Highland UT
    That families affected by autism will have access to medically necessary treatments.

94. karmeno

1. Karmen
    2. Portland, OR
    3. I wish for more people like you!

95. Cory

It's wonderful you're doing this!

1. Corinne
    2. Amsterdam, Netherlands
    3. And here's some terribly selfish wishes: I wish for my first real art exposition (in January!) to go well, and to be able to write (and be happy with) the rough draft to at least one more novel, as the last two I started went south fast.

96. Kaitlin

Hi, I'm Kaitlin from Kansass. Wish: That 2010 will bring a wave of new efforts in providing education to everyone–children and adults, from Kansas to Kuwait.

97. skygrazer/Christy

Christy
    Richmond, RI
    I wish… people would look beyond their own point of view to see where the other person is coming from.

98. Derek Osborne

Moo, or should I say, Mao. Either way, a wonderful idea. Merry Christmas.

99. J.J. Bennett

1. Jennifer J. Bennett
    2. St. George, Utah
    3. I promised my father I'd finish my book. He passed away this year, so my wish is to finish what I started. Here's to you Dad…
    4. I have already worked with a couple or charities this holiday season. This is a great one… Merry Christmas Nathan!

100. Vanessa O'Loughlin

Hi Nathan,
    Brilliant idea, and very good wishes to you and your wife for your generosity from Dublin Ireland. Wishing you health, wealth and happiness in 2010
    Vanessa O'Loughlin
    Dublin, Ireland

101. Kirsten Hubbard

great charity choice! they're my favorite. such a brilliant idea, especially the payment forward to other needy families of the livestock's offspring.

102. Theriaka

This is a fantastic idea, so great of you to do this.

I'm B.H. Byrne from snowy Medicine Hat, AB, Canada.

I hope you and yours have a fantastic holiday!

103. Chrystal

I don't want to buy a water buffalo, but I want to be a part of this wonderful effort toward trying to end poverty and hunger in a sustainable way.
    Nathan this is great! Happy Holidays to everyone.

104. Elizabeth Collins

Hi–I was inspired to post a comment because I just made donations to Heifer, too. I bought two flocks of chicks in honor of my children's teachers…

My wish for 2010 is that I remember to help other people more…

I am a teacher (and writer) myself, and I well understand that teachers don't need any more scented candles or boxes of fudge.

I don't know if they'll appreciate an intangible gift such as this, but at least it made *me* feel better giving it!

Other info you might want to know:
    I am from Philadelphia, and my blog is http://prettyfreaky.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful holiday. Enjoy the season!

105. Nicole Lorenz

Nicole from St. Paul, Minnesota checking in to wish everyone here a happy, sane, and productive year of writing in 2010! πŸ™‚

106. Eileen Schuh

Eileen, from St. Paul, Alberta, Canada. This is a wonderful idea, Nathan. The best of the Season to you and yours.
    May we all find it in our hearts to support the charities of our choice this Christmas!

107. Nathan

That's a very generous donation. This is Nathan from Utah, wishing all a successful year in all your many endeavors.

108. Heidi E.

1. Heidi E (Raven1967 from Twitter)
    2. Currently in NW Indiana but hightailing it to Seattle next year.
    3. Hoping to get my first novel published, second novel finished and move.

Hope you get a ton of comments Nathan!
    A Merry Happy Holiday Season to you!

109. mightymur@gmail.com (Mur Lafferty)

Mur from Durham (currently Buffalo NY for holidays) wishing for greater focus and more creative output in 2010, Santa Heifer!

We made our 2009 Heifer donation to give a sheep and our daughter donated her money to buy a share of a goat. So glad you're getting community involved!

110. Carl

That's very, very generous of you! Carl from Washington State.

111. Madison L. Edgar

Madison Edgar–Fort Worth, TX.

I wish this Christmas wouldn't be like all the others. I wish people would relax and enjoy the gift of life God gave us with his Son. I wish everyone would donate what they can to people in need… not just during the holidays but year-round. I wish for this world to be as God intended it and not as it is right now.

Ok, so that's more than just one wish, but my fingers wouldn't stop typing! Thanks for doing this, Nathan and wife!

112. C.S. Gomez

My name is Steven Gomez from Vancouver, BC. My wish for 2010 is that I'll produce at least two stories (short or long) that I would be proud to submit to magazines during the year; I'm working on discipline in my writing.

113. Catenabi

Catherine from Montreal, Canada.
    My 2010 wish: I will set aside my irrational fear of the 'jinx' for a second and say… finding an agent who believes in my book (which isn't finished yet but will totally be by the end of the year… that was my wish for 2009!)

Happy Holidays!!

114. Christy Pinheiro, EA ABA

I love Heifer! They are my favorite charity– they actually help people be self-sufficient.

Christy from California.

Wishing you a Happy Holiday!

115. Just Another Sarah

How very sweet!

I'm Sarah from cold ND. It's sort of looking like a snow globe up here, right now. And my wish? I hope it's not too schmaltzy to say that I hope for peace, happiness and love for everyone! (Because I do.)

116. Izabella

It's Izabella from Chicago here. Happy Holidays to all. I wish to find an agent in 2010 that isn't sick of vamp novels yet. That and world peace of course. Happy New Year and good luck to all in their dreams and wishes.

117. relliott4

Happy Holidays from Rinda Elliott in Oklahoma! My wish for 2010 is for all the families I know who are hit by the recession to see much better times. πŸ™‚

118. Jaleh D

What a wonderful sentiment.

My name is Jaleh Dragich. I consider myself from Columbus, OH, but I'm currently living in Western NY. I'd like to echo Samantha's wish and say that I want to finish a novel and not hate it.

119. Sheila

1. Sheila
    2. Redwood City, CA
    3. That my son's classmate's chemo treatment is successful. That my kids grow up to be as generous as you.

Merry Christmas!

120. JohnO

John Ochwat from Beaverton, Oregon.

My wish is that Nathan isn't the only one giving to such a worthy cause. That's why I just donated $50 to Heifer International.

121. J. Koyanagi

I'm Jacqueline (or "J") from Colorado, and my wish for 2010 is universal health care.

You're doing a wonderful thing here, Nathan!

122. Alyson Noel

Alyson Noel, Orange County, California- I just made my own annual donation to Heifer and I think it's awesome that you're doing this!! All the best in 2010!
    πŸ™‚

123. Ami Hendrickson

What a great idea (which I stole)! Merry Christmas!

Ami Hendrickson from "flyover country" in southwest Michigan.

Writing goals for 2010: Finish the feature film "Against the Wind" and finish and edit my NaNo novel.

Larger goals: Find a way to make an even larger contribution to the world next year.

I threw out a similar "Comment Challenge" on my blog: http://museinks.blogspot.com, and credited you. All the best to you, Nathan!

124. Beth

1. Beth
    2. Buckeye, Arizona
    3. I'd like a literary agent for Christmas next year! Complete with a little red bow and a contract in hand.

Hello! This is very cool of you, Nathan.
    Alison from Iowa City, IA
    (where the streets are icy!).
    My hope for 2010 is that by next Christmas more of our troops will be home with their own families.

126. Jille

Happy Holidays Nathan!
    1. Jill
    2. Jersey City, NJ
    3. My wish is that people start realizing we share this earth with many other species and they all deserve respect.
    4. Don't have a blog, will have to make a flat donation!

(P.S. word ver is "natho"–perhaps a potential cool nickname?)

127. Kris  Spisak

Nathan, what a wonderful push in this holiday season! I just happened to have stumbled onto your blog through Curtis Brown's website, and I'm glad I did.

1. Kris
    2. Richmond, VA
    3. To sell my book! It's finally ready!

Have a wonderful, wonderful Christmas!

Hi, my name is Laura. My wish for 2010 is World Peace. I think that if we stop fighting each other, we can make more progress towards solving other problems, like world hunger, world poverty, disease, global warming, etc.

129. Keah

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

1. My name is Keah Slowey
    2. I'm from Texas
    3. My wish for 2010 is better health care for children, more Type 1 Diabetes awareness for children and for our soldiers to finally come home!!

My name is Emma and I'm from Illinois! This is so cool! My wish for 2010 is for all the children of the world to join hands and sing in harmony. From SNL…ha. My real wish is that people in poverty find help and are able to live a good life.

131. Sarah

May your Christmas be merry and bright~

132. nicoleantoinette

You're a rockstar for doing this – what a great organization to donate to!

I'm Nicole, I'm in San Francisco (as of this past weekend, when I moved on a whim!), and my 2010 wish is to find a job here so I can actually stay!

133. Cari

1. Cari
    2. Houston, TX
    3. My wish for 2010 is to make progress in the fight against cancer!

134. Maryanne

1. Maryanne
    2. Florida
    3. I wish for more prosperity, not only for my own family, but for anyone who's struggling right now.

135. Erik

1. Erik
    2. Minneapolis, MN
    3. Wish for 2010…how about peace?

This is incredibly generous of you.

136. Shannon Delany

Happy holidays to you and yours, Nathan! What a great idea (we also donate to Heifer)! πŸ˜€ This is Shannon from New York and I'm wishing much success and inspiration to all the great writers, agents and editors I know out there! May 2010 be fabulous for us all!

137. Maarika

1. Maarika
    2. Eastern Washington
    3. I wish to finish a novel and not hate it!!!

138. Andrea Cremer

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I'm Andrea Cremer from snowy Minnesota. My wish for 2010 is that each of us invest more in kindness toward our neighbors and communities (local and global)!

139. Rebecca Royce

1. Rebecca

2. Northern NJ

3. I have a lot of broad wishes, peace on earth, good will towards men, and some personal ones that are much more petty, I suppose. So I'll just wish everyone has their dreams come true.

140. Raethe

Good for you!

My name is Natalie, I'm from BC Canada, and my wish for BC 2010 is to make enough money to actually be able to donate to/participate in/etc things like this (and pay the bills at the same time! Wait, is that getting too ambitious?).

1. Nancy
    2. I live in central Indiana
    3. For the world, peace would be nice. For me, finishing my WIP and having it be salable would be super. (That, or winning lottery numbers!)
    4. Sorry, don't have blog or money.

Great wordver: readhe, as in what Nathan does!

Hi! I'm Julie G. from North Carolina. I heard about this through a FB post from the author Alyson Noel!
    My Christmas wish is that I would like to have a stable job. My wish for the world is for all of us to Pay It Forward…in what ever way one can!
    Peace, God Bless & Merry Christmas
    Julie (NC)

143. Mercy Loomis

1. Mercy Loomis
    2. Wisconsin, near Madison
    3. I wish I had enough extra that I could do a pledge drive too! 8 months of unemployment sucks…
    4. mercyloomis.blogspot.com

144. beth

I'm Beth from North Carolina. I just signed with my agent a week ago, and my wish for 2010 is a book deal!

145. T r i s h

My name is Trisha. from Ontario Canada my wish for 2010 is for happiness πŸ˜€

146. Aimee

1. AimΓ©e
    2. Traverse City, MI
    3. I hope to finish writing my book, but that's what everyone else here is wishing for also. πŸ™‚

147. Tim Koch

Tim Koch in Fayetteville, Arkansas (That was quite a win last night against Missouri. Good job Hogs.) My wish: One of the laws God gave Moses was that when we harvest what we've planted we leave some for the less fortunate. I wish we could remember this regularly throughout the year. The thought only counts if it's the first step toward action.

Merry Christmas and a slow, smooth and wonderful 2010 to all of you.

148. Ken

Awesome idea, Nathan!

I donated one goat on Pat Rothfuss's team — and he's matching donations, which is amazing.

Wish for 2010 – that everyone has a peaceful year.

Ken, from Massachusetts.

149. Terry

Terry from Florida.

Very generous of you, Nathan. That organization sounds good.

My new year's wish is for the economic slump to ease faster than predicted. It's causing so much misery all around the globe.

Happy Holidays to Everyone!

150. alybee

Nathan – What a wonderful way to celebrate. May you and all your readers have a wonderful holiday season. – Aly from California

151. John M. UpChurch

Thank you so much for making this pledge. So, let's see if I can get this down:

1) John M. UpChurch (yes, the capital C is correct)
    2) The warm, humid state known as Tennessee (gotta love repeated consonants and vowels)
    3) My wish is that someone would invent an automatic clothes folder that takes things out of the dryer and irons, folds, and puts them away. And, um, to be published.

Have a great Christmas and New Year, everyone.

Merry Christmas Nathan, from Samantha back in the homeland/county.

Its nice to see so much interest in Heifer. Our school donates to them during the season of Lent. The students take home small boxes to collect their families' spare change daily, then it all gets added up and we get to choose what animals to donate.

My 2010 wish is for my family to remain healthy and happy…and for my son's insurance premiums to drop below $500 when he turns one in February! Or for a national coverage program which can still offer a high quality of care…

Cheers!

From EJ in Colorado

Happy Holidays to everyone and may all your dreams come true

154. Jemi Fraser

Christmas wishes from Canada coming your way!

My wish is for all kids to have a safe & happy home. Happy holidays everyone πŸ™‚

155. NP

What a wonderful thing you're doing! I wish more people would (or could, for that matter) help in the way you are!

Nicole
    Orlando, FL

My wish for 2010 is that I can continue making positive changes in my life so that I can be a positive force in the lives of those around me.

Happy Holidays!

156. Sara

wonderful project! thanks to all!!

157. L. T. Host

Awesome idea, Nathan. Here, have another $1.00, Heifer International. πŸ™‚

158. Matt Heppe

Happy Holidays from Pennsylvania!

I'm hoping to find a home for my novel in 2010. I'm in final polishing mode right now. Query launch is set for mid January.

Nathan, this is a great thing you are doing. I want in! I'll contribute $1 for each comment (up to 150) left on my blog today.

Woohooo!

Matt

159. MzMannerz

1. Dawn
    2. Annapolis
    3. More peace on earth, if not all of it.
    4. My blog has a pittance of readers, so I'll just pass this along to friends directly.

160. Larissa

What a great idea! Heifer Int'l is a great org.

Larissa from Orlando πŸ™‚

161. Sharone

What a wonderful idea! Heifer International is a great organization. Merry Christmas!

162. V

Merry Christmas from Victoria in Manhattan, Kansas. My wish is simple, health for my family and friends and the ability for me to finish my current writing project as soon as possible.

I applaud your fund drive, but I would like to add that there are charitable organizations here at home. Speaking as someone who gives my time and effort instead of money… Getting a volunteer that actually shows up when promised and works is more valuable than cold, hard cash. Espcially since charities are having to cut back on staffing, too.

163. Rachel

Rachel from Washington!
    I'm hoping that 2010 is a more successful year than 2009. Let's pull out of this recession, cut back on war, and make actually make America a good place. πŸ™‚

Happy Holidays!

merry christmas from germany, we wish you a wonderful holiday season and huge gift mountains!!

165. Maya

1.Maya
    2.Sacramento, CA
    3. I wish there will be fewer deaths in 2010. Especially in my family, everyone close to me, and the celebrity world.

166. Audrianna

This is Audrianna from Arizona. My wish is that one of our local families will receive as many prayers as possible this holdiay season – their teenage son and daughter (which I knew), both died in a 20+ car pile up yesterday. Not holiday-ish, but no less needed.

167. Janet Fox

Heifer is one of the finest organizations. Good for you for supporting them! Here's my 2010 wish: that your generosity spreads around the world.

168. mary beth bass

Mary Beth from Connecticut

I have three wishes:
    1. Real, demonstrated progress in the fight against climate change
    2. That everyone, everwhere, acts as much in the interest of other people as they do for themselves
    3. That my son gets to stay in his special education school and we don't have to move and send him somewhere else

Happy Holidays to awesome Nathan and to everyone who reads his generous, thoughtful blog

169. elizabethfais

Elizabeth F. from Mountain View (Googleville), CA. My wish for 2010 is for random acts of kindness to increase exponentially, towards our animal friends as well as each other.

170. Sally F

Sally from Dallas, here. I love Heifer Int'l. One year, I gave bees on behalf of each of my clients (and gave the clients lapel pins picturing a holly-bearing cartoon bee). It went over really well. This year, I'll be donating through their "give where it's needed most" link, and my wish is that there will be no further need for organizations like Heifer. Thank you for doing this.

171. Jacqui

How generous of you! I love and appreciate people who think outside themselves. What lovely Christmas cheer!

I'm Jacqui from Utah, and I wish for kindness and awareness among strangers in 2010. On a more personal level, I wish for continued health for me and my family members, and am grateful that my grandma's cancer is in remission.

God's blessings to you! I'll like you on my blog.

172. Holly

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody from Holly and my collie Jennie in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

How nice to give Heifer International some air time. I'll donate a goat through their site today.

173. Anita Saxena

1. Anita Saxena
    2. I live in Pelham, AL (which is about 20 miles south of Birmingham)
    3. I wish to never lose my optimism or stop dreaming.

Happy Holidays and thank you for donating to such a worth cause!

174. Richard Gibson

1. Richard Gibson
    2. from Butte, Montana
    3. wishes all a wonderful 2010 and thanks to Mr Bransford for his generosity!

I'm a long-time lurker, never commented before.

175. Tim S.

Tim Salveson
    Woodside, CA
    I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Nathan – Great work!

176. Noelle

Happy Holidays from Noelle in NYC!

177. Sara

1.Sara Brice

2. Turlock Ca

3. To finish writing my book(s)

Merry CHRISTmas!!

v-

I completely agree that there's no replacement for volunteering. Just wanted to clarify though that Heifer does work in the USA as well.

179. christicorbett

Christi Corbett from Oregon.

My wish for 2010 is for my family and friends to stay healthy and safe.

Oh, and of course find a publisher for my novel)

180. A. L. Hackstadt

Amber from IL wishing everyone a very merry Christmas!

181. awewriter

It's Francis from Texas,

Tis the season, so do it right.

For 2010, set the mood, do it right.

Maybe you'll come read my book

182. Kaige

Great cause, Nathan!

-Kaige
    San Diego, CA
    Wishing for 2010 to be better in every way for everyone.

This is AS from the mid-West…

As a supporter and fan of Heifer International, this is a great idea and lovely way to sustainably contribute to people and communities around the globe. Will you let us know what you buy/donate?

My wish for 2010, well the one I’m willing to post here, is that your pledge drive is wildly successful and that you make your dent in the battle to end hunger and inequality. Reagan was wrong; we don’t have to lose the war on poverty.

And in the spirit of paying it forward and doing my part, I’m going to link you to my blog, single mom seeks sane: http://singlemomseekssane.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the idea!

184. carriejones

I don't know you,Nathan, but I love you for doing this.

185. single mom seeks sane

This is AS from the mid-West…

And in the spirit of paying it forward and do my part, I’m going to link you to my blog, single mom seeks sane: http://singlemomseekssane.blogspot.com/

186. a cat of impossible colour

This is very generous of you!

I'm Andrea, originally from Zimbabwe, now living in New Zealand. My book comes out in the UK at the end of next year, so I'm hoping for a fun and exciting 2010. πŸ™‚ And selling to a few more countries would be awesome too.

Best wishes for a great holiday season, Nathan – your blog helped me so much last year when I was querying, and I really appreciate it.

187. kathrynjankowski

Nathan, thank you so much for highlighting this organization. It's such a great option for Christmas gifts!

1. Kathryn Jankowski
    2. Native San Franciscan, currently abiding in Yuba County. (Land of rice fields, sound familiar?)
    3. Writing wish: An agent and publisher who will love my work as much as I do.
    General wish: A decent health care bill.
    4. http://kjankowski.blogspot.com

188. Has

Has from London!

I think this is a fantastic idea and cause.
    I hope everyone has a fantastic holiday and a happy new year!

189. LJCohen

We support Heiffer every year and it's lovely to see you blog about this organization.

Happy Holidays.

190. Jeni

Thank you for all you do to inform and provide a sense of community for other writers (and congratulations on your book deal!). I'm Jeni from Munster, Ind., and my wish is that each of us grow in our writing in 2010. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family! Jeni

191. rose

Rose, from the navel of the Mojave Basin.

May 2010 see the end of hunger around the world.

Thank you, Nathan.
    Happy holidays to you and yours!

192. Rick Daley

You're sitting on a goldmine of positive karma. We need to clone you.

193. Emerging Writer

Merry Christmas and all those other lovely December festival greetings from Kate from Ireland. I bought my kids a pig and some chicks from Oxfam for Christmas. Great idea. My wish for 2010 is to get a job.

194. Alison

What a wonderful idea! Count me in–Alison from Texas. Heifer International is a great organization.

My personal wish for 2010 is to sell my house before January is out…and sell a book!

195. Jaime

Jaime in NYC!

196. stephest

1. Stephanie Estrada
    2. Miami, FL
    3. For 2010, I wish to find the closest thing to pure happiness πŸ™‚

197. Mary Ann Scott

This is a fabulous organization! Merry Christmas from Leesburg, GA!

198. kmari03

What a nice idea. Thank you!

Kira
    Atlanta, GA
    holiday wish: i'm in the "never share your wish" camp! πŸ™‚

199. Sandy Shin

I'm Sandy from Texas, and my wish for 2010 is to survive the next year and get into a medical school. :>

Happy Holidays!

200. lgburns

"Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; you have fed him for a lifetime."

Happy Holidays!

201. azang

What a wonderful thing you're doing. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you!

Merry christmas from Ireland! Hope the situation will get better over here in the south in 20101

203. Talia Vance

I'm Talia from Sacramento. My wish is that everyone finds their Happily Ever After.

204. Susan Quinn

Nathan, you rock. We've bought chickens and goats through Heifer before, and I can attest to the great connection this makes for kids to charity.

I heart Michelle's idea of buying a stuffed animal to put under the tree, to remind the kiddies about the help they've given to a family far away!

1. Susan Quinn
    2. Chicago-land area
    3. That perspective will be permanently implanted in my brain, so that even when things are difficult, I will remember all the blessings that I have.
    4. I'm joining your drive! I will match comments with $1 donations up to $150 (a llama!): http://www.ink-spells.blogspot.com

Heifer is a wonderful organization and you have made a generous pledge! We are fortunate to life near one of their farms and love visiting there.

206. Erinn

Happy holidays from snowy Maryland.

Nathan this is great, it's just like the project for awesome on youtube from last weekend.

This is a great charity and if I didn't already give $900 to charitywater I would donate here.

I wish everyone success in their writing and life.

Happy holidays

http://benicetoastranger.blogspot.com/ <— this is my personal project for the month of December. I"m nice to a stranger every day and I blog about it. It's been an eye opening experience.

http://somethingelsetodistractme.blogspot.com/<– this is my snarky blog.

207. Rick Chesler

Aloha all, here's my entry from Honolulu, Hawaii. Best wishes for a peaceful and prosperous 2010.

208. carolynyalin

Season's Greeting from Carolyn in Colorado!

I got my simple wish, a white Christmas just like the ones I grew up with in Canada!! (It's been snowing since last night and won't stop until tomorrow).

Happy Holidays.

JD Lester
    Lexington, KY
    That human needs will one day be exceeded by human compassion and problem-solving ingenuity.
    Thanks for doing this. Wish I had a blog to help.
    Happy holidays, everyone! -JD

210. Brian

This is a wonderful thing you're doing, Nathan. May you have a joyful New Year.
    1. Brian Spadora
    2. Jersey City, NJ
    3. My wish for 2009 is for my children, and all children, to be happy and healthy. I wouldn't mind if I finished my book and sold, either.

211. hollywoodclown

Jason Lassen from Los Angeles California.

I wish for the economy to get better and to get people back to work. As for myself, of course I wish to get a Lit agent and a published book under my belt. And thanks to all your information on this blog Nathan, I'm sure it'll happen.

Unfortunately, I can not do a donation per comment on my own blog -http://hollywoodclown.wordpress.com
    I'm on an Actor/Writer budget, did I mention a wish for more work? My comment here will have to be my donation.

Thanks to you and your wife for making it possible.

Happy Holidays and here's to 2010!

212. Katharine O'Moore-Klopf

I'm Katharine O'Moore-Klopf, a freelance copyeditor from East Setauket (midway out on the north shore of Long Island), New York. Here's wishing that 2010 brings (1) a complete recovery from the recession and (2) reworked mortages for those in danger of losing their homes, so that they can once again afford to pay for them.

Heifer International is a wonderful program.

213. Jeanne

Thanks for a moo-ving me.

Jen Dutton from Northeast Ohio who wishes for Peace on Earth.

214. Snarky Agent-man

Name: Snarky Agent-man
    Origin: Mordor
    Wish: that generous people like you and your bloggees continue to support programs like Heifer International, charity:water, Habitat for Humanity, and other "charities" that don't just give, but teach and empower.

Also, an iTablet, aka a big ol' iphone screen.

215. Andrea

Merry Christmas!

216. Lisa Schroeder

This is great of you, Nathan.

Happy holidays to you and yours!

217. Alexis Grant

Happy Holidays!

I'm Lexi from upstate New York. I wish for a healthy year for my family and friends.

218. :)Ash

1. Ashley
    2. Louisville
    3. My wish is to work on revisions for the two novels I've written, and work up the courage to query agents. I now have a great critique group, so I know they'll help me stay motivated, and provide the encouragement I need to make my wish come true.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, EVERYONE!

219. aurora M.

This ones for you! Happy Holidays πŸ™‚

220. Ada

Ada from northeastern Minnesota wishing for a finished novel and more career development and less deadend jobs in 2010. Also, a solution we can all agree on for climate change.

221. cttiger

Heifer Int'l is a great organization. I donate in "honour" of each of my nieces every year.
    It's so nice of you to donate on behalf of the rest of us who enjoy your blog.
    Best wishes for a happy holiday!

222. lloveland

1.Lori

2. New York

3. For 2010 I hope to make the world better by promoting diversity education in upstate NY while connecting students to schools in Ghana where we will be promoting literacy :).

I LOVE Heifer international! Thank you for this, wishing you a wonderful Christmas.

223. David Kubicek

Happy holidays from the Kubiceks in Lincoln, Nebraska, where we're preparing for a Christmas Eve blizzard that could dump up to a foot of snow by Saturday.

My wish for the new year is that the economy improves greatly.

224. Melanie Avila

What a generous thing to do!

I used to be "Melanie from Michigan" but now I'm "Melanie from Mexico." And I'm in Michigan for the holidays.

My wish for 2010 is for things — even one thing — to get better. I'm not picky which thing.

225. kris

Kris from snowy upstate NY, here to help drive the total higher. What a fabulous way to celebrate the season. My wish is that your spirit of giving be extended to all of us.

226. Sandra

How generous of you, Nathan!

I'm Sandra Almazan from the Chicago area. May we all have writing success in 2010!

227. Anita3

Hello,
    My name is Anita Mann from Atlanta Ga.

I don't make wishes. (My philosophy) If you want something to happen, make it happen.

I have a percentage deducted from my salary for charity. I have Heifer International listed as one of those charities. I've been giving to them every month for the past few years.

(For the people that wish for a book deal)
    If you write a great book and a damn good query, you'll get published. (Make it happen)

Great idea Nathan. I only read your blogs. I don't post comments. I just like to laugh at everyone else comments.(smile)

Happy Holiday's

228. A.L. Bawden~ Author

What a wonderful thing to do! Merry Christmas πŸ™‚ I wish every one a Happy Holiday.
    A.L. Bawden, in Utah.

229. Bec

Hi. I'm Bec from Australia, currently enjoying the heat (:
    Like others my selfish wish for 2010 is to be published. My other wish is for everybody in the world to have enough food. Thanks for all the blogging over the year Nathan – I stop in every day and love every entry!Have a good xmas everyone!

230. Regan Leigh

Regan Leigh
    Atlanta, Ga
    To continue improving as a writer and to stop procrastinating life. πŸ˜€

I like this game. πŸ™‚ I'm late, but I'm in!
    Leave a comment and I'll donate 50 cents!

231. Denise Jaden

I'm Denise from Vancouver. My wish for 2010…more of the same. I'm pretty thankful.

Sarah from UT, here. Merry Christmas to everyone.

This is a fantastic idea, Nathan. Thanks for doing it.

This next year my goal is to complete my novel (editing now!) and send off queries to find an agent.

233. Jeri

Hi! I'm Jeri Smith-Ready from Maryland, one of Ginger Clark's clients. My sincerest wish for the New Year is that this country use environmental initiatives to provide jobs and prosperity, instead of looking at it as an either/or proposition. And for myself, more (quality) chocolate.

I joined the Blog Challenge here, and mine runs through 5PM Eastern Wednesday, December 30.

234. Q

Q, wishing for a full comment box for this excellent charity!

235. Terry Towery

Good on you, Nathan! This is Terry from Peoria, IL and my wish for 2010 is for one really good thing to happen to everyone who comments on this thread!
    Merry Christmas.

236. Anne-Marie

1. Anne-Marie
    2. Toronto
    3. Selfish: finish the latest novel, get agent, get published
    4. Wish for America: decent health care
    5. Wish for the world: Peace and happiness for all

Is that too tall an order? (especially #3, which I would trade in for #4 and #5)

nathan, what a lovely thing you're doing. Have a great Xmas and all the best to you and your readers for 2010.

xx
    AM

237. Ryan Ashley Scott

Ryan from Ohio here. We've been so blessed this year, my wish is that our family will be in a place to help others in 2010.

238. Jessy

Happy Holidays from Jessy in Philadelphia, PA. I wish that everyone was as generous as you and other people who do good for the world.

239. --Deb

What a wonderful thing to do–Heifer International is such a great organization and deserves the attention.

My name is Deb from New Jersey, and my wish for 2010? Prosperity for EVERYONE.

240. Livia

This is a great idea! I may copy you with something similar on my blog's 1 year birthday.

241. Ryan

Thanks for this blog and forum. Cheer.

242. Jess

1. Jess Tudor
    2. Philadelphia
    3. Learning and practicing more about health and wellness/fitness
    4. While I have a blog, I'm unemployed and don't have money, or I'd do a comment-pledge, but I'll happily click through to everyone else so they have to give more. πŸ™‚

243. Carrie

Carrie from Austin. In 2010, I hope to achieve financial stability. You are a great man to do this.

244. Brandi G.

What a swell idea.

I'm Brandi from Arkansas. And my wish for 2010 is for happiness and health for all my friends and family, and to achieve some of my more personal dreams (which are goals when you have a timeline!).

Have a very Merry Christmas and best of luck to Heifer International. God bless you for all you do.

245. Jeanne

Happy holidays from Seattle!

My wish for the world in 2010 — more love.

(If my agent sells my ms, I'd be lovin' everyone.)

246. Kasey

I couldn't not post after reading about your offer. I'd do something similar if only I weren't a high school student. But, alas, I am, and I am also broke. My name is Kasey and I'm from MA. My wish for 2010 is to finish a book. For once. haha

247. Bobbie

Merry Christmas, Nathan. You have all sorts of ways of spreading cheer, don't you? I'm from just outside Chicago, and my wish for 2010 is simply for more of the same. It's been a good year, and I feel too fortunate to ask for anything beyond what I have.

248. Sophie

Great post Nathan. Wonderful idea. Glad to be a part of itβ€”Sherry from Texas. I wish everyone all the best and to continue to write no matter what. Writing is food for the soul. Giving is food for the heart.

The last person to click on the blog was visitor #1,000,000 for 2009!

250. Bron

What a great idea, and so generous of you and your wife. I hadn't heard of Heifer International, but World Vision run a similar program and I'm buying a toilet through them for a community without access to sanitation as a gift for my mother. She just had to replace a toilet in her house, which is why I chose this particular present. Hopefully she'll think it's funny, but at the same time it serves a very important need.

Bronwyn from Australia where there definitely isn't any snow, whose wish for 2010 is for an agent, and whose less selfish wish is for more people to make (and be able to make) charitable donations in 2010. Merry Christmas everyone!

251. Bron

And congratulations on the millionth visitor!

aww this is awesome =]

Cecilia from Philly. My wish is for the "leaders" of this country to do good for its people.

Sharleen in Yakima, Washington
    My wish for 2010: An improved economy so all will have jobs and properity in the publishing industry (sorry, selfish reasons for this one) so publishers can buy more books.

You have a kind and generous heart, Nathan
    Best wishes for a great new year.

255. Border Jumpers

Just as an FYI wanted to flag you to three posts that resulted from our field visits with Heifer International in Rwanda. They are doing terrific work on the ground…

Here are the write-ups for the Worldwatch Institute's Nourishing the Planet [http://blogs.worldwatch.org/nourishingtheplanet]:

Healing with livestock in Rwanda

Teacher Turned Farmer…Turned Teacher

Got Biogas?

We are travel blogging from Africa at a site called Border Jumpers which can be viewed at http://www.borderjumpers.org

Danielle Nierenberg and Bernard Pollack

1. Meredith
    2. Tarpon Springs, Fl
    3. A raise for the new year: check!

257. Malia

Hey, Nathan, this is awesome what you're doing. I'm Malia Ann in Northwest Washington State. And besides good wishes for the whole world, my dream for 2010 is for my fantastic Agent to find a home for my kids' fantasy novel.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

My wish for 2010 is to be a published author who can donate more than $10 to Heifer International by this time next year.

Maggie's Mom from central Oklahoma.

259. Meghan Ward

Meghan Ward
    Berkeley
    I wish to get my book published in 2010! And for tons more people to donate to charities like Heifer International. I posted a similar comment/dollar match:

260. Brian

Hey, Brian from Iowa. First time poster, long time reader…keep up the good work.

261. Moira Young

(Pen) Name: Moira Young

From: Vancouver, Canada

Wish for 2010: To advance my writing career in some sort of substantial way (agent representation, publishing contract, ???)

Blog: http://moirayoung.livejournal.com

I don't have a lot of money right now, but I will donate 50 cents for every person that comments on my blog, to a maximum of $25. It's not much, but every little bit helps, right?

I'll set my own time limit at 12:01 a.m. Christmas day.

262. JC Webprints

Chris Fontes
    Madera, CA
    I wish to finish my MS

Bless you and your wife for doing this, Nathan! Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year to everyone visiting this blog today!

2. United States
    3. My wish for the New Year: less people living in poverty, less strife and contention around the world.

264. S. Terrell French

Word is spreading. What a great thing to do for a great cause.

(from sunny San Francisco)

JoMarie from Pennsylvania–wishing the man i love will return to my life in 2010 πŸ™‚

266. Mags

1. Maggie Lyons
    2. Boston
    3. I wish you and yours an awesome holiday season and a kick-assed 2010!
    4. You bet! I don't get a lot of comments, though, and it's so late in the day that I'm seeing this, so let's make it a dollar per comment from now through the end of the year (or the postage might be the most valuable thing with that envelope). I'd like to split my donation to Heifer International with the Angioma Alliance, though. Fifty cents each, to two very worthy causes.

Cool of you to do this!

Happy holidays!

Mags

267. Kevin

I just got a sheep, some geese, and some rabbits myself. This is a great idea!

Happy Holidays from Donna in Connecticut! Wishing everyone peace and health for the new year and access to quality, affordable health care for all!

269. nomadshan

Awesome idea! — Shan in Texas, who's wishing for her book to sell in 2010.

270. harmonybookreviews

This is an amazing idea! This is Skyanne from PA. I'd love to get one of my books to the point I can start querying sometime this year!

Thanks for spreading the holiday cheer!

271. Rissa Watkins

1. Rissa Watkins
    2. Arizona
    3. I wish that the economy gets better. I have so many friends and family who can't find a job- my wish is that things turn around for everyone this year.

Bless you and your family Nathan! You give so much to writers with your blog posts and advice. Doing this is above and beyond.

272. Dewey Hammond

1. Dewey
    2. San Francisco
    3. "The Pale King"

273. Rachel Stark

I'm Rachel from Baltimore, but recently from New York. My wish for 2010 is the opportunity to feel happy and fulfilled, for me and everyone I know.

274. Amy

Merry Christmas from a rather frigid Massachusetts! I'm loving all the bloggers who have chosen to do something for someone else this year. People coming together for good warms the heart. Thanks, Nathan!

My wish for 2010 is a job so that I too can be as generous as I want to be!

275. Denise

First time commenter but dedicated reader.

I'm Denise from Kansas City, Missouri. My wish for 2010 is to become a better writer, edit my NaNoWriMo project and acquire an agent.

Thank you for your blog! Its my absolute favorite agent blog.

276. Other Lisa

Nathan, I think you are gonna need a raise!

And I have to say, Heiffer makes it wayyy too easy for the likes of us — you can donate through your Amazon account.

I'm going to have to skip the blog challenge for now but I hope my little bit helps, and thank you for doing this.

Wishes? I'll keep mine simple. I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday with your family and friends. There is nothing like the gift of time with people that you care about.

Thank you so much for your kindness! Merry Christmas from Emily in Southern Illinois. I hope that your generosity returns to you seven-fold.

1. Alyssa
    2. New York
    3. finish my novel, get above a 2100 on the SAT in Spring

Happy holidays to all. What you're doing is amazing.

279. LA Q

this is a great idea, i love this org. ur the best

happy holidays to all

may u all have a 2010 filled with love, peace, joy and success.

laq997

280. katied

Katie from Davenport, IA. In 2010, I would like to find a moment in every day to look around and enjoy what life has given me.

281. Kurtis

Happy holidays everyone. Keep up the good blogging, Nathan.

282. JennyC

Hi I am Jenny from Melbourne Australia. Merry Christmas Nathan. My wish for 2010 is that we give ourselves time to live in and appreciate the present, rather than live in worry and stress.

283. hannah

My mom gets me a goat through Heifer every year for Hanukkah. It's always one of my favorite presents.

1. hannah
    2. Washington D.C.
    3. I want to be happy.

284. Angela

God bless you & yours this holiday season for doing this. Heifer is a great organization!
    My wish for 2010 is to finally complete my YA Historical Fantasy

Angela from Pa.

285. Lacey

This is a really great idea to help those in need over the holidays. Seasons Greetings from Canada! Lacey from Calgary.

286. Liz Jones

Liz from Mill Run, PA– love Heifer International– good for you! Hope you have a happy and prosperous 2010!

287. Richard Lewis

Great idea!

Richard Lewis. I'm from Indonesia — a white guy born, raised, and enfamilied — and I'm just barely beating the deadline due to the fact I'm sound asleep and dreaming of edits when Nathan posts.

What I wish for 2010….that the Riemann Hypothesis will be proved. And yes, that old hoary standby: less saber rattling and more peace.

Happy Holidays!

This is Melody from Manhattan with a wish for you to read all these comments at the end the day with a smile for your charity πŸ™‚

289. Sharen Ford

How wonderful that you (and your wife) are as generous in other areas of your life as you are with advice to writers in your brilliant blog. I knew there was an organization like Heifer International, but wasn't sure of its name. Now that you've made it easy for me, I'll follow the link and also make my own contribution.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Nathan.

Sharen from Bucks County, PA

290. Margo Dill

This is a completely awesome idea. I love Heifer–have you ever read the kid's book, GIVE A GOAT by Jan West Schrock (Tilbury House)? It is about a 5th grade class raising money for Heifer. Anyway, happy holidays and wonderful idea. πŸ™‚

Margo Dill

Melanie
    Hemet, CA

I wish for a year of peace. Merry Christmas!

292. Kelly

Hello Nathan. Thanks so much for the wonderfully informative and accessible blog. Heifer is a fantastic group – what a generous thing you're doing! Sending wishes for peace, joy and health this holiday season and into the new year.

Kelly D. (Northern Virginia)

293. Kristin Tubb

Happy Holidays from Kristin O'Donnell Tubb in the Nashville, TN area. My wish for 2010 is that I can better appreciate the many blessings I've been given. I wish the same for you, too! πŸ™‚

Here's to a wonderful 2010 for all!

294. Cin

Merry Christmas from the beauty of southern Illinois. I'm Cindy and my wish for the new year, other than an improved economy to make gestures like this unnecessary, is to finish my books in progress. Next year, I'll be linking to my author website.

295. Yamile

You and your wife are the coolest people ever for doing his.
    This is Yamile (Y pronounced like an SH), and I'm from Argentina but live in Utah.
    My wish for 2010 might sound "miss Universe Pegeant-y" for some people, but lately there have been so many horrible news in which kids are involved that my wish is for children to be safe. I wish to live long enough to see my kids grow up safely and happily.
    My first reaction would be for you to offer representation to me, but if my kids weren't happy, not even that would cheer me up.
    Have a merry Christmas Nathan. May God bless you and your family.

296. houndrat

What a lovely idea!

Debra(aka houndrat) from San Diego, CA. Yes, it really is sunny and in the 70's here.

Wishes for 2010? Um…preserve my sanity, spend more quality time with the kiddage (wait–are those two mutually exclusive?), finish novel, find the perfect agent. Oh yeah, and discover a way to make regular chocolate calorie-free.

Oh,and I'm participating in your charity–WOOT!

Cheers, and Happy Holidays! πŸ™‚

297. Theresa

Merry Christmas! I love the idea of Heiffer International! Great cause!

298. Theresa

feliz navidad! Heiffer International is a great cause!

299. Alexa

Wonderful and generous idea.

Alexa
    Washington DC via the UK
    Happiness and health for those I love and to finally query you.

Happy Christmas

300. Kay Theodoratus

What a great idea. I've admired the Heifer Project for years.

I'd make a mention on my blog, but hardly anyone reads it.

Kay from Colorado hopes you get your millionth reader soon.

301. Becky Mushko

Merry Christmas from snowy Penhook, VA. I wish all much success in the coming year.

302. Linda Godfrey

Linda Godfrey from snowy SE Wisconsin, and H.I. has long been a favorite charity of mine. What a great way to promote it!

I wish peace and good will between authors, agents and editors for every day of 2010, and that every book that should be published will be. You can see my Christmas card in that spirit at http://lindagodfrey.wordpress.com/
    where I will go now to post a link to this worthy project.

Peace out, and I mean that!

303. Tori

Here's Tori from Ohio. My wish for next year would have to be to find an agent. (And to have a less selfish wish for 2011. I would now, but I feel like I should be honest about what I'm wishing for.)

Have a merry Christmas!

Awesome, Nathan.

I'm Mira from the Bay Area, CA.

My wish, including myself, is that all those on Earth will have their hearts grow 3 sizes this year.

Lauren from Illinois. I wish everyone safe travels. πŸ™‚ Have a great holiday!

306. Elizabeth

Wonderful idea! And a great organization. I'm happy to help.

I'm Elizabeth, down in San Diego.

My wish for 2010 is for everyone to read Half the Sky, and then DO something. Anything. It doesn't have to be big. But just read the book. And then you won't be able not to do something.

Happy Holidays to you. Thanks for doing this.

I'm Melissa from San Diego, CA. (And now I feel like a contestant on a game show.) Heifer is one of my favorite charities– and my kids love poring over the catalog, deciding which animal to give at Christmastime.

Let's see, a wish for 2010? Other than that our e-book overlords turn out to be a friendly and hospitable bunch? I'll go small: I hope for a nap. At least one. And preferably in the very near future.

…. And another $1.00. Merry Christmas all. Let's hope those less fortunate can join in a little holiday cheer.

309. Laura Martone

Wonderfully generous as usual, Nathan! Good for you!

And good for all those who posted something similar on their own blogs. If I'd checked here before posting my own nonsense today, I would happily have participated. Poop.

Well, I hope everyone here as a happy holiday season!

See you in 2010!

P.S. In answer to the questions, my name is Laura Martone. I live in three places, but I'm in New Orleans at the moment. And my wish for 2010 is that the economy improves – and, by extension, the publishing industry. Hip-hip-hoorah to more books!

310. TKAstle

A happy, hope filled Christmas to all from Tracy in Colusa, CA. For those not of the Christmas persuasion, happy whatever makes your heart sing.

I'll pledge $.50 per comment (up to $50 dollars – I'm on an even lower than publishing budget.) for any one who comments on my brand new blog, So Many Dreams found at

tkastle.blogspot.com.

My wish for 2010 is that more people will be able to find peace and purpose in whatever their circumstances may be.

311. Jil

This is Jil Plummer from Lafayette, Ca.

My wish for the coming year is that "kindness" be everywhere – some of it spread from the brown eyes of little heifers given to needy families.

312. Lisa

I'm Lisa from Texas (mochachick8 on Twitter). My wish? Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

313. Honolulu Writer

You're the man, Nathan. I'm Rebecca from Hawaii. Wishing you and your wife Aloha for the holiday season!

P.S. it's only 1:30 here, hope I'm not too late. Is is 4:30 there??

314. Other Lisa

Ack, I forgot to leave my name and where I'm from.

Lisa Brackmann
    All Over the Place, California, currently Venice.

315. disorderly

Nathan, bless you for your big heart. All of us (even we lurkers) see it all year long in your advice, words of wisdom and patented humor. You are hereby dubbed one of The Really Good Guys. πŸ™‚

My wish for 2010 is that people will be able to agree a little more, fight a little less and always bear in mind that the "other guy" is a human being, too. If we can't agree, let's at least agree to disagree politely and attempt not to call each other names. Life's too short, ya know?

Wishing you and yours all the best from Texas,
    Kathleen

316. Shreds

Maureen from Nebraska, getting ready for our 2nd Snowcaploypse of the season.
    Thanks for milking this opportunity to help.
    Wish for 2010– everybody stop being so hysterical.

317. BJ

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and a great new year!

BJ from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

318. miyabi

I'm commenting for the cause.

319. Jodi

This is Jodi in Pennsylvania. I could take a 15 minute car ride and be staring at a field full of heifers(actually it's snowy so they're probably in the barns). My wish is that my new blog would have 1/10 of the followers Nathan has by Dec. 23, 2010!

320. Linda Godfrey

Sometimes I am so slow! At first when I posted my link to Nathan's blog at http://lindagodfrey.wordpress.com I just said I'd give my own donation rather than per comment because I am so way less popular than Nathan that I figured I wouldn't be giving much. But a few seconds after I posted that I realized – duh – that doesn't take his generous matching offer into account. So Nathan, I have been assimilated and I only regret I didn't have time to come here sooner today. My wish from before still stands! (I tweeted too)

321. Alanna

How nice ^_^

322. Cynthia Gael

LOVE this blog!! I've followed it every day since last spring! ::sighs as she remembers warmer weather::

1. Cynthia Gael
    2. Spartanburg, South Carolina
    3. For The Balefire Chronicles to be on bookshelves by this time next year!
    4. http://cynthiagael.blogspot.com/ (brand spanking new!!)

323. KD

Hi, Nathan! I'm KD from Tucson, where it's bright and beautiful. I wish for us all to take better care of each other and our planet (and also that I will find Mr/Ms Right Agent!)

324. Ink

Bryan Russell, from The City of Windsor.

I'm guessing you already know one of my wishes for the year…

Another would be getting to delete Mira in the forums. πŸ™‚

And another would be for Tyreke Evans to be traded to the Toronto Raptors. For Marcus Banks.

Plus world peace, God bless us, everyone.

And a healthy new baby.

And goats for everyone!

325. anne vinsel

anne vinsel from salt lake city. i've been giving parts of animals for that last five years, and everybody loves them, especially the kids πŸ˜‰

i wish to be snowed in for a week but with electricity and heat, so i can get some serious work done and finish Night Surgery.

326. Stephanie Perkins

Thank you for supporting my favorite charity. Happy holidays!

I'm Stephanie Perkins from Asheville, NC. My wish is for my friends to have as happy a year in 2010 as I had this year. (One meaning: I wish for Natalie Whipple to sell Ninja!)

327. Liana Brooks

1. Liana Brooks

2. I'm originally from San Diego, California. Right now I live on the GA/AL border.

3. My unselfish wish for 2010 is that everyone I know has a healthy and safe year. My very selfish wish is for a free ARC of either Bewitched & Betrayed or the new Jack Campbell book (both coming out in April).

4. I'm acting locally for charity this year. :o) But I love this charity!

328. Tricia

Greetings from Fresno, CA. Tricia Sutton here and my wish for 2010 is to find an agent, preferrably Nathan Bransford.

My name is Kim Strother and I'm from Graniteville,South Carolina. My wish for the New Year is that people would be kind to each other (I know, that's a BIG one) LOL! Jacob, you're the best for doing this! Blessings to you!

330. Alissa

Merry Christmas, Happy late Hanukkah, Happy New Year, and whatever else people might celebrate! It's Alissa from Webster NY. My wish for 2010 for myself is to finish editing/revising my novel. I wrote with NaNoWriMo and wrote 69,000 words approximately and I know so many of those words are probably lame and need to be edited out. My wish for everything else is to donate to a charity. I'm big on helping animals. They're being recklessly murdered and there's nothing they can do about it, and that upsets me. So I'd really like to donate to a charity for animals.

331. Caroline Steele

All my personal wishes have been fulfilled already this year (or will be.) Except that I wish to once again survive through winter! -Carrie from Utah.

332. Hannah Jenny

Hi Nathan,

Merry Christmas and congrats on supporting Heifer. I've read about them before and they seem really cool. (Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to donate myself yet.) Hannah Jenny is my real name, just not including my last. And for 2010? I want to finish writing the fantasy ms I've been working on for more than three years now!

333. JenniferWalkup

Jennifer from New Jersey. My wish is for a more stable, happy year for everyone, in publishing and in the world.

334. Irene

Yep. Yep. Yep. Heifer International and Kiva are so incredibly needed.
    I'm Irene Rawlings from Denver and my wish for 2010 is that prosperity will return–in whatever form it takes. My blog is http://www.kbco.com/pages/focus.html and, although I can't contribute per comment, I can contribute per email I get at the radio station. I'll get this up and running tomorrow and it will run through the Christmas weekend. Best wishes for all good things in 2010 for you and yours!

335. Kelley

Merry Christmas, Nathan!

This is a subject so important to me-everything I make writing has gone to charity-so I can't tell you how happy this makes me. So, I'll be on my blog donating to http://www.AngiomaAlliance.org and spreading the word.

You're awesome. Just. Awesome.

336. Norah

I'm Norah from Ithaca, NY.

Great idea, Nathan- Heifer International is such a great cause.

I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday- and a new year full of opportunities!

337. Scott

Scott from the southern New Jersey shore wishes for signs other than advancing technology that we're evolving as a species. Then again, I'd like to see The Flyers get out of their slump, so no breath holding here whatsoever.

Thanks for all your efforts, Nathan. It's easy to forget that we're getting all of this great stuff for free, and here you are giving more. Peace to you, sir.

My website.

338. JFBookman

Hey, Nathan, great idea. Love Heifer International, and Doctors Without Borders both incredibly helpful ways to give back.

I'm Joel from San Rafael, California
    My hope is that people fulfill their promise in 2010.

Happy Holidays to all.

Nathan, I found this late in the day, so I'll do the "per comment" donation post later tonight and run it throughout the holiday.

List my blog if you like:

And thanks for all the great reading!

339. Ann M

This is so fantastic, Nathan!

Ann M.
    California
    Continued health and happiness for my friends and family!

340. cwsherwoodedits

I'm Cindy from Orange County, California. My wish is for everyone to share in your spirit of generosity this holiday. My daughter's wonderful teacher asked that we not give her gifts this year, but donate to hospice or Heifer instead… the class was able to donate a water buffalo in her name, plus provide for many holiday meals for needy hospice families.

341. Eric

Thank you for this, Nathan! I've donated to Heifer twice now, and I've been very happy with it.

-Eric

342. wendy

Great idea, Nathan. I hadn't heard of Heifer Int. It sounds fabulous. I visited their site and was impressed. I'll visit the listees and leave comments.
    Name: Wendy
    Origin: Australia
    Wish for 2010: To be in a financial place where I can help organisations like Heifer International.

343. June Sobel

Just under the wire –

June Sobel
    Westlake Village CA
    For 2010 – a year of surprise, laughter and creativity

344. Elisabeth Black

Elisabeth Black from Maryland. Thanks for doing this, Nathan. In 2010, I wish to change the wallpaper border in my bathroom.

Merry Christmas.

Already have. Always do. Trees, this year; global warming, you know.

Mackay
    Boulder Colorado

346. Della Luna

Heifer Intl. is a wonderful organization!

I'm Della from New Mexico. My wish for 2010 is for a productive writing year (personnally) and increased prosperity for all of us!

347. Jaime

1) Jaime
    2) Australia
    3) My wish for 2010 is for another addition to my family, and for my MS to be loved by an agent πŸ™‚

Merry Christmas to all! Reading the blog this year has been so much fun. Thank you, Nathan, for bringing us all together πŸ™‚

UPDATE 5PM: WOW!! All I can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH to everyone who participated in our inaugural charity drive. Don't worry if you arrived late and didn't have a chance to comment: we're donating the full $1,000 anyway. And according to my calculations, if the other blogging participants reach their comment pledge goals it will mean another $1,250-$1,500+ for needy families. That's what I call multiplying! But it will only happen if you keep commenting on those blogs. Many of the participants above have extended their deadlines, so if you're just arriving click those links above and comment!

This has been a fantastic experience, but it's just the beginning: next year we'll really blow it out (and hold it at a time when more people are on the Internets). THANK YOU again to everyone. I'll soon be closing comments for the weekend, but things will be back to normal on Monday. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

349. Christine M.

Christine, from Ottawa, Canada!

I wish everyone health and happiness in 2010.

350. Virginia

I am giving everyone a "share of a goat" for their stocking stuffer. Thank you! Wishing for you and everyone peace and joy!

351. Kristin Laughtin

Heifer International is hands-down my favorite charity, and though I got here late, I'm thrilled by the turnout and donation amounts. THANK YOU, and have happy holidays (and a great 2010)!

Judy from Foxborough, MA. I give o Heifer every year. This year it was some chickens. They are such a worthy organization.

My wish is for tolerance and good cheer.

353. Joseph

Joe Selby
    Nashua, NH
    I hope in 2010 more people will be as generous as this.

Here's a post for a goat!

354. Leanne

Leanne from Denver, Colorado here.

I didn't see your post until after the 6 pm cutoff but… I have always appreciated Heifer Int'l and a lovely gift from my extended family one year was a flock of chicks. Warmed my soul, I tell you!

So here's to your challenge… I'll raise you $25 (hey, I'm unemployed on the savings from a publishing salary!)… and I wish us all a productive, lucrative 2010 so we can do more this time next year.

Happy holidays!

355. Eika

What a great idea! I'm Alaina from New Hampshire, a poor college student. A PERSONAL wish is to get published in 2010, but I'm actually just going to start firing off query letters and hoping. A more communal one is that everyone has one full week of things to celebrate this year. Life has its ups and downs, but one good week makes things worthwhile.

356. Christian

Happy holidays Nathan!

C & K

357. Kathryn

Kathryn from Spokane, WA. And I actually bought a flock of hope (chicken, geese, and ducks) in my mom's name for Christmas.

For 2010, I want to graduate (MFA) and find some sort of writing related job so that I can start paying off my student loans…

358. Cathi Stoler

What a great idea. Thanks for your wonderful blog and all the information and encouragement it gives us.
    My wish is for health, happiness and peace for all people, all over the world.
    Have a great Christmas and New Year's with your family.
    Cathi Stoler from NYC.

359. Julie

Merry Christmas from Julie in Chicago!
    My wish for 2010 is for everyone to give a little rather than take for themselves…the world would be a better place.
    I donated to this charity last week! Great choice.

360. Anna

Thanks for donating to Heifer and for starting a great trend. Happy holidays!

361. doctorquery

Missed your deadline but wanted to let you know that I support Heifer International myself — last year we "bought" a llama as a gift in the name my two brothers and their families, and this year a goat. A wonderful way to support those in need around the world!

Thanks for all you do, Nathan!

That is all.

Doctor Query

Nathan,
    I'm Alice Kasey from Owensboro, KY.
    I think what you're doing is really great, and a great way to give back.. I've read through your blogs for writers before and always thought you were kind and helpful in that sense; now I see that's what you're like over all. My wish for 2010 is to hopefully get published so I can share my love for imagination with others. Oh yeah, and to get through my books to read list (if only it would quit growing)

363. Reka

What a purpose! Such a great Christmas present!
    God bless you all!

364. Healing

Well done! Congratulations Nathan for that. Nothing can welcome a new year as a sweetly as a sweet gift to needy people.

I’m Namrata from India. And I wish to reach a little bit closer to reach my aim of healing people in forthcoming year. I’m craving for participating in this per-comment pledge idea but I’m just a student, a dependent on my parents.
    Bravo for those have done that… and best wishes.

-Merry Christmas and Happy new year to everyone.

365. Blanca

Wonderful christmas, a new year with so much love. I hope 2010 be better than 09. LOVE! Kisses,

Blanca Aleks.

366. Maripat

I missed out on this but I went ahead and bought some chicks in honor of my husband overseas.

367. Jade Park

Happy Holidays, Nathan–coming out of the lurking woodwork to participate. πŸ™‚ Other than world peace, I am hoping 2010 brings you a very good slushpile and lots of inspiration to all the writers here.

368. ryan field

I tried to spread the word as much as I could on FB, TW and Yahoo. I hope it helped.

This was a nice event.

This is an incredible gesture. I'm so glad to be a part of it. My name is Sandra P. I have many personal wishes and goals for 2010, one of which is to complete my first novel. However, my wish for 2010 is for there to be a brighter future for everyone. We've been through some tough times over the last few years so hopefully the worst is behind us.

Thanks to Nathan for putting this together and bringing a bright spot to some lives that haven't seen one in awhile.

370. Guinevere

What a neat idea! Merry Christmas!

371. Rochelle Spencer

Rochelle from New York! I wish to continue writing and pursuing my dreams; I wish that we begin to emerge from this horrible recession; I wish joy, serenity, and optimism to everyone I know.

372. JoanneFrench

Great organization! Great idea! Great all around guy Nathan Bransford!

Name is Joanne from NYC. Wish for 2010 beyond champagne wishes and caviar dreams of getting published (ha!) would be a trip to Disney World with my 6 year old daughter who is finally getting over her fear of hugging a giant mouse!

Merry Christmas all!

Joanne

373. stonemaven

Let's get those folks some livestock!
    Happy Haunnikah, Merry Christmas, Sublime Saturnalia, Kickin' Kwanzza, and all that jazz.

374. Beth Sorensen

Best Wishes for 2010 from Delaware! Heifer Inernational is one of my favorite charities, so I was thrilled to see this post. Thanks for such a great site. I hope to blog as well as you in the new year!

375. John Soares

Most of the presents I give these days are donations to Heifer International. Thanks for highlighting this important charity.

376. Claude Forthomme

Happy New Year from Claude Forthomme in Rome Italy!

I've worked 25 years in development aid and heard Heifer's doing a great job! And there are many more people out there in developing countries, all working hard, bringing assistance to the poor, the sick, the hungry…I think it's great you and your wife thought of them!

Many thanks, Nathan, for this warm-hearted blog…

You'll find mine at

377. jon

Happy holidays to all from Seattl, and thanks Nathan for using your power for good. I wish for much happiness for all in 2010, and beyond.

378. W. H. Wilkns

Hello, Wendy from Durham, NC here! I think its wonderful that you are doing this donation drive for Heifer Intl, they are a great organization. My wish for 2010 is that everyone remembers to keep on dreaming–achievement is impossible without having a dream to follow. Happy Blue Moon tomorrow!

379. KingTermite

Heifer International is such a great charity. It's been my favorite for years!!!

380. JFBookman

Hey Nathan, just wanted to thank you again. I ended up with 28 unique visitors, rounded up to $30 and donated a hive full of bees, with the equipment and training to go with them. Very nice, and thanks to all who visited.

381. TamieWrites

1. Tamie Wolford
    2. Covina, California
    3. 2010 has started off with a bang of giving. I'm in love with this viral spirit of giving for others in need. That is the true definition of agape! Americans are rich. We have cars, we have running water and we have food at our whim in a cold box called a refrigerator.

I enjoy your blogs, Nathan. Thanks for your inspiration!

382. Mary

Mary from Boston and John O's cousin.